Rockets beat the Knights for the first time in history


Photo By: Alon Chavez

The Rockets (4-0) came off an epic 49-7 win against the New Braunfels Unicorns to return to D.W. Rutledge stadium, facing off one of their fiercest rivals, the Steele Knights (1-3).

“Hopefully, [we’ll] end up with a ‘W’ at about 10:30 tonight,” head coach Sean McAuliffe said.

Both teams started off aggressively, attempting to gain upper hand on each other. Halfway into the first quarter, quarterback Julon Williams made a 9-yard touchdown run around Steele’s defense, putting the game in favor of the Rockets with a score of 7-0. The Knights tried to bounce back quickly,, scoring less than three minutes later, leveling the playing field at 7-7.

Not long after, Williams made an incredible run from Steele’s 40 yard line and was tacked at Steele’s 2nd yard line. Junior Sincere Mccormick made a 2-yard touchdown run, slipping straight through Steele’s defense, putting the game at Rockets 14-7 with only forty four seconds remaining in the first quarter.

In the second quarter, both teams played ruthlessly, successfully keeping their opponents from scoring. This was until senior Joseph Hudson caught a 39-yard pass in the end zone bringing the score to 21-7, in favor of the Rockets. Near the end of the second quarter, the Knights attempted to score a field goal, but failed, making the halftime score 21-7.

Although the Knights failed to score in the third, it was also the last time the Rockets scored. It came five minutes into the third quarter by Williams, adding to the Rockets 21 point lead. With less than two minutes remaining in the third quarter, Williams came back again with a touchdown, which came to be the deciding touchdown. It was 35-7 at the end of the third.

In the fourth quarter, the Rockets were slacking, nearly allowing Steele to catch up and take the game right from under their feet. This came with the Knights scored four minutes into the quarter, and then two back-to-back touchdowns in less than two minutes apart, bringing the score to 35-28 for the rockets with 1:54 minutes remaining in the game.

At Steele’s 44 yard line, a flag was thrown for unsportsmanlike conduct, followed by a 15-yard penalty against the Knights, bringing it to first and 10 for the Rockets at Steele’s 29 yard line. Soon after, the Rockets got a first down at the Steele 6th-yard line. But before the down could start, the game came to a close.

“My first couple of years here with Judson, we ended up going all the way up to one game away from state,” coach Donald Harris said. “But we need to continue on our path and not let this be our Superbowl type game, that we could maybe keep these wins going and then make it all the way.”

The Rockets will go into the bye week next week and will continue to perfect their tactics and practice as usual. On October 13, 2017, the Rockets (5-0) will face off against the East Central Hornets (0-5), hopefully continuing their win streak.